Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Windows 8.1 AHCI fix

Installed Windows 8.1 (64bit), and it is awesome. I tried Windows 8 when it came out and hated it. I used to be a huge fan of Windows 7. 8.1 runs so much better and I gained 20fps on BF4!!!!!

Anyways .... After updating bios my computer would not boot for nothing unless I unplugged the SATA cables from my secondary hard drives and changed bios to IDE mode. When I selected AHCI the computer would say "disk read Error, press control , alt, delete to restart". And would do this every time.

Turned out to be a registry problem here is the fix.......

Exit all applications
Go to the start screen and type in regedit, or press the Windows key and r on your keyboard to bring up the run command.
If you see the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box, just click continue.
Locate the the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\

Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.
Open the StartOverride folder and locate an entry named 0 with a value of 3. Change the value to 0 by following the procedure in step 5.
Restart and enable AHCI in your system BIOS.

You shouldn't need to install any drivers as the Marvell SATA Controller will run with the native Microsoft version but you can install them if you want to after you have rebooted and the PC is running in AHCI Mode.

AMD FX-8320 FX-Series Eight-Core Processor Edition, Black 4.0ghz
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
2 - OCZ Technology 128GB Vertex 4 Series SSD
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz
XFX Double D R9-290 4GB
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Corsair 780T Case
Corsair SP 120 Fan(x3)
Corsair AF 140 Fan(x4)
Logisys LDXRM12C LED Lighting RGB
28"Acer4K 60hz 1ms Monitor