• CPU choices

<<

(TKC)Ihasabanana

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Bad Company 2

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 am

CPU choices

I'm currently considering getting a new rig as my current pc was outdated sometime before the first world war. I haven't really kept up with hardware since then so i have a couple of questions.

I'm not sure what CPU i might get. A friend of mine recommended me a I7-3820, but imo thats quite expensive.
    I also do a lot of rendering and cpu heavy stuff so im also wondering if it will be worth it to get one of the 6 core AMDs instead?
    And im also having some trouble deciding between the 670 and the 760.

Cheers.

<<

MrFrostyy

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Battlefield 4

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:54 am

Re: CPU choices

About time you caveman also I just got a 760 let u know how it is in a few hours.

Last edited by MrFrostyy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    <<

(TKC)Ihasabanana

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Don't you talk trash about my glorious pc.

<<

(TKC)-o]T3[o

Patriarch of the Forums
    Patriarch of the Forums

Division: Rising Storm 2 Vietnam

Steam Name: [TKC]olT3lo

BF3 Soldier: olT3lo

BF4 Soldier: olT3lo

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm

I wouldn't get an AMD.. that's my only input here. Had one, worst PC I ever had.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
    <<

(TKC)Ihasabanana

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Heard some good words about the AMD FX-8350 and as i mentioned as far as i know the extra cores will help me out with rendering and stuff like that. I've seen a couple of benchmarks for the AMD FX-8350 and it seems to be extremely more cost efficent than the I7s.

<<

kingloser

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 am

i too believe u should go intel. i had an amd and yes they are cheaper but inherently worse than intel. I would say unless ur a video editor or programmer you could stick with an i5. i myself have the 3570k and so far so good. i had an i7 2600k b4 and personally for what i use it for there isnt a difference. The i7s have hyperthreading tho so if thats something u want you'll have to go there. A quick look says that the i7 better supports multi-gpu setups, has a better overclock threshold and triple channel memory support. not too sure on haswell, all i heard was initial overclocking/overheating issues. dont know if that was die issue or patch issue.

<<

DMPCo

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Steam Name: DMPCo

BF3 Soldier: DMPCo

BF4 Soldier: DMPCo

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:03 pm

i am currently running i7-3770k oc to 4.9ghz and it works great. AMD also works great though. price/preformance i believe AMD wins. the best thing to do is think about what is important to you when it comes to processing then just look at comparison benchmarks and then buy what is in your price range/needs

a GAMING PC is BUILT not BOUGHT!
    <<

(TKC)-o]T3[o

Patriarch of the Forums
    Patriarch of the Forums

Division: Rising Storm 2 Vietnam

Steam Name: [TKC]olT3lo

BF3 Soldier: olT3lo

BF4 Soldier: olT3lo

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 pm

DMPCo wrote:i am currently running i7-3770k oc to 4.9ghz and it works great. AMD also works great though. price/preformance i believe AMD wins. the best thing to do is think about what is important to you when it comes to processing then just look at comparison benchmarks and then buy what is in your price range/needs

haha different experience.. AMD blows chunks after what it put me through. :P

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
    <<

DMPCo

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Steam Name: DMPCo

BF3 Soldier: DMPCo

BF4 Soldier: DMPCo

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 pm

haha different experience.. AMD blows chunks after what it put me through. :P

fanboi :icon_mrgreen:

a GAMING PC is BUILT not BOUGHT!
    <<

dflynn

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Division: Guild Wars 2

Steam Name: dflynn222

BF3 Soldier: dflynn222

BF4 Soldier: dflynn222

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 am

DMPCo wrote:i am currently running i7-3770k oc to 4.9ghz and it works great. AMD also works great though. price/preformance i believe AMD wins. the best thing to do is think about what is important to you when it comes to processing then just look at comparison benchmarks and then buy what is in your price range/needs

The I7-3770 is supposed to be one of the better CPU's for that particular price range $350, but the I5 version which is about $150 cheaper works almost as well, probably wouldn't seen much difference other than the OC speeds. The AMD bulldozer CPU is supposed to be good as well, but a bit pricey for an AMD CPU. the AMD's no matter what review you read don't match up to the 3rd or 4th generation Intel I series chips.. They are supposed to be releasing a new chip that is supposed to compete with them, but they will be similar in price. Anything more than $350 for a chip doesn't really increase your performance if you OC anyway.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
    <<

(TKC)Ihasabanana

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Been looking a bit more at this, and i am currently tilting more towards the AMDs because of the pricing. Pc parts are like twice the price over here and the AMDs really are a lot cheaper. I have no real plans for OCing, but i might maybe do that on a later point.
    I'll mainly be using it for editing and maybe also as a recording device. (hoping to get out a 12 track album soon.)

Return to PC Hardware