(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:52 pm

MOAR UPGRADES

So, since the specs to run BF3 on ultra look pretty steep, and I myself love to run things at a steady 60fps, I have bought another power supply and after the beta is over, will decide on crossfiring my 6870, or buying 2x 6970s. I got this Corsair 850W PSU, which is normally $135 plus tax and shipping, for ONLY $75 NIB from someone on Craigslist....still had the sealed plastic around the box and everything. Funny thing is, he was the ONLY PSU sale on the entire site. Plugged it up, and it works perfectly. :icon_mrgreen:

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

cobra_86

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: MOAR UPGRADES

me too i want to do that but i read this

When you Crossfire two cards (or more) the memory (VRAM) isn't added together, So 2 x 6870 1GB cards in Crossfire doesn't = 2GB of total VRAM, its still just 1GB.
    You'd only really need a card with 2GB of VRAM when using a resolution of 1920 x 1200 (or above) with max in game details and lots of AA and AF, or an Eyefinity setup.

is this true ?!

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 am

Re: MOAR UPGRADES

cobra_86 wrote:me too i want to do that but i read this

When you Crossfire two cards (or more) the memory (VRAM) isn't added together, So 2 x 6870 1GB cards in Crossfire doesn't = 2GB of total VRAM, its still just 1GB.
    You'd only really need a card with 2GB of VRAM when using a resolution of 1920 x 1200 (or above) with max in game details and lots of AA and AF, or an Eyefinity setup.

is this true ?!

that is true with SLI
    Idk as far as Crossfire goes, but with SLI, Graphics card # 1 will render frame 1, 3, 5, etc and GPU #2 will render frames 2,4,6, etc.
    They just alternate frames, that means each GPU has to have all of the required items in each of them. For example, you have a mountain in one scene, the mountain is loaded into both GPUs, not just one Then the GPUs will alternate frame rendering. Meaning that the memory is not shared. In Crysis 2 at max, my 1 GB of memory fills up. In BF3, I would recommend getting at least 1.5 GB in your GPU but recommended 2 GB if you want to play it nicely

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.

Return to PC Hardware