FAQ  •  Register  • 
  • Login
  • Video card and Processor Temperatures

<<

danyousilly

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Video card and Processor Temperatures

So i've been wondering for a long time since I build my PC. What are the average temperatures for my video card and processor. I have an ATI RADEON XFX HD 5770 and a intel i7 920 2.67GHZ. Usually on idle my video card gets around 51% whil my processor gets at 60%-65%. Now, when I play game my video card goes up to 80%-87% tops. Is that bad?=O

<<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: Video card and Processor Temperatures

What do you mean by 60-65%? That's not a temperature..haha. Well, it all depends on the airflow you have in your case and your CPU cooler. When I had my stock CPU cooler my 955 BE would idle at 42C at about 3.5GHz. With my current cooler, right now it's at 37C @ 3.7GHz. It is pretty warm in this room though...around the winter time it idles at 25C :icon_eek: If you mean "80%-87% tops" as in 80C-87C, that's a little warm, but you're still far away from the temperature threshold, which for your card is actually a little over 100C. I know that sounds insane but it's true.

My GPU, Radeon 6870, idles at 40C currently due to the room temp...and ingame I've never seen it go above 78C. I do have 3 fans on my case though, and the GPU is overclocked as well with the fan speed set at a constant 40%

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

danyousilly

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm

hey hey hey! It's my first time trying to explaing something with temperatures and didnt know how to put it okay lol haha im kidding but yeah 80C-87C, etc..
    ugh..really? Iv'e read some other stuff and it says that it doesn't get bad till its up too 100C and that my temperatures are fine. For some reason I'm really really woried and it does sound insanse. Maybe I can't accept the fact that thats how its suppose to be..sad face =(

<<

country_boy454

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Division: Tom Clancys The Division

Steam Name: plumbrokezj318

BF3 Soldier: PlumBroke318

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:19 pm

If your worried about the temps download MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision that will allow you to turn the fans up on the GPU. When was the last time your case was cleaned out from dust? Are your cables neat or does it look like a rats nest? Getting air in and out is important for air cooling. Try gaming with the side of the case off. If the temps are cooler that way then you need more airflow in your case!

My air cooled, overclocked, over volted 570 idles at 31* C and games at 76-78* C. Custom fan profiles I can set using MSI Afterburner helps to keep the temps down.

CPU: i7 5930k 4.7GHz MOBO:Asus X99-E WSRam:G.Skill DDR4 2666 32gbGPU:SLI'd EVGA GTX 980tiPSU:EVGA 220-T2-1600-X1HDD:500gb Raid 0 850 EVO SSDs, 5tb Toshiba 128mb cacheCase:Lian Li PC-D666WRXDisplay:32" Samsung, (2) Acer S231HL Cooling:Corsair H100i GTX, 12 BGears 120mm PWM fans
    <<

danyousilly

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Last time i cleaned it was like..umm..i build it last summer around May...when I came back from Florida was 2 months ago and thats when i cleaned it completly. I have never checked my temperatures until now. I use MSI after burner and I was able to up the fans a bit but didn't make a diffrence...another question, how often do video cards usually last?

<<

ferrari8608

Division: Bad Company 2

Steam Name: chazzthespaz

BF3 Soldier: WillKill4Ramen

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm

For GPU temps up to 100C under full load are acceptable during stress testing. I wouldn't trust it any higher than 80C during gaming though. For CPU, 72C stress testing and I don't let it sit any higher than 62C under normal load.

A decent video card will last you as long as you treat it well, depending on the quality of its build. I have an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6200 (from 2004) that is still fully functional in my old computer. As long as you keep temps down and the dust away from the HSF, you'll be fine.

AMD Phenom II X4 970 ~ MSI NF980-G65 ~ 8 GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1333 ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 580 ~ Corsair HX 750W ~ Antec Lanboy Air
    <<

Dragonrage217

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Battlefield 4

Steam Name: (TKC)Dragonrage217

BF3 Soldier: Dragonrage217

BF4 Soldier: Dragonrage217

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm

i personally dont like gpus over 60C so what i would check is to make sure you case has proper air flow if link what case and fans you have we can see which way it should be but personally i think thats the problem i think that you having issues with heat from either dirty heatsink on gpu or if its a dual fan gpu that 1 is not spinning fast enough if not at all causing build in heat.

Return to PC Hardware