<<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Windows 8 build released for public.

TarHeelDead wrote:I'm installing it now on virtualbox to test it out

How? It wouldn't work for me on VirtualBox :icon_unhappy:

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

Luninariel

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Bad Company 2

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:11 pm

I hope that windows 8 is just windows 7+metro... Windows is starting to sound like IW, HEY NEW YEAR HERE! HERE'S A HANDFUL OF CRAP WE COULDA PATCHED IN BUT ENJOY!

<<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Luninariel wrote:I hope that windows 8 is just windows 7+metro... Windows is starting to sound like IW, HEY NEW YEAR HERE! HERE'S A HANDFUL OF CRAP WE COULDA PATCHED IN BUT ENJOY!

It pretty much is a revamped version of windows 7 plus the metro interface if you want it. There's a lot of new features though.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

TarHeelDead

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:46 pm

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar wrote:

Check out the settings they suggest here. I pretty much did what they said, gave it 2gb ram, upped the video ram allowed to 64mb since it started at like 20mb, not sure if I changed any other settings. I did it with the 64 bit version.

CPU: i5-760 (stock w/turbo boost) RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaw 1333MHz (7-7-7-21) Video Card: XFX 5770 1GB HD: WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 500GB PSU: OCZ Modstream Pro 600W Screen: HANNS-G 20 in HDMI
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm

TarHeelDead wrote:

Check out the settings they suggest here. I pretty much did what they said, gave it 2gb ram, upped the video ram allowed to 64mb since it started at like 20mb, not sure if I changed any other settings. I did it with the 64 bit version.

Cool thanks. I'll try that after I finish burning it to a DVD. gonna put it on my laptop :D

Well, it booted up but I'm getting the same error every time. It can't find the correct drivers. :icon_duh:

ImageImage
    <<

TarHeelDead

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I never had any errors but I also never burned a dvd, I just used the iso since virtualbox can mount them. have you ever installed windows from a burned iso? I've had driver issues because of burn speed being too high which corrupted the disc.

CPU: i5-760 (stock w/turbo boost) RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaw 1333MHz (7-7-7-21) Video Card: XFX 5770 1GB HD: WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 500GB PSU: OCZ Modstream Pro 600W Screen: HANNS-G 20 in HDMI
    <<

TarHeelDead

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:58 pm

(and I side not for T or any other admins: when I installed windows from a burned disc, it wasn't pirated. It was a MSDNAA copy through my school which is only downloadable for me)

<<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm

TarHeelDead wrote:I never had any errors but I also never burned a dvd, I just used the iso since virtualbox can mount them. have you ever installed windows from a burned iso? I've had driver issues because of burn speed being too high which corrupted the disc.

When I try to mount with vitrualbox it won't mount the ISO. It gives me an error. I have to mount using Daemon tools then tell it to read the drive.

ImageImage
    <<

TarHeelDead

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:49 pm

I'll just mention the path I followed in case you did it differently:
    after creating the virtual machine to install windows 8 on, I clicked the settings icon -> storage -> right-clicked "IDE Controller" -> add cd/dvd device -> choose disk -> and selected the iso from "my downloads" since that is my save folder for downloads.

One thing that comes to mind is where did you download it? Were you at a school computer to download it? A lot of schools and large apartments have so many connection points that packets get lost from the windows install iso's (its happened to me 3 times) but you won't know for sure until you get errors when installing. The only way to predict that is to look at your file size of the iso, it should be roughly 3,814,012 KB for the 64 bit version. If it is smaller than that then packets may have been lost (for me it's varied between 10-50% missing.

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm

TarHeelDead wrote:I never had any errors but I also never burned a dvd, I just used the iso since virtualbox can mount them. have you ever installed windows from a burned iso? I've had driver issues because of burn speed being too high which corrupted the disc.

When I try to mount with vitrualbox it won't mount the ISO. It gives me an error. I have to mount using Daemon tools then tell it to read the drive.

Check the SHA-1 to make sure that the file isnt corrupt.

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    <<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:12 pm

I still need to test this out in VMware workstation but Im thinking of dual booting.. It should be fairly stable since microsoft only re-did the UI and improved the main code from 7.

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    Previous

Return to PC Hardware