Cecil900

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Division: WarZ

Steam Name: C_E_C_I_L

BF3 Soldier: Cecil900

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Help! PC went kaput!

You can jumpstart your psu and see if it will power a fan. Id post a tutorial but i am on my phone. You could probably google one though

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 pm

bobzwik wrote:But I don't know what the problem is. I don't want to end up buying another PSU if my mobo fried.

Is there anything I can check with a voltmeter or something?

Where do you live? Near Montreal? If so, look for a store called Canada Computers, they just opened up a branch there, they will be able to diagnose it for a lot cheaper but no matter how you look at it, ordering a new PSU is a LOT cheaper, and we can almost guarantee you that it is the problem (if not, its probably your mobo, but I doubt it..) If I were you, I'd order a new PSU and replace it yourself...

And this is also why I stress having an excellent Power Bar with Surge Protection... My PSU went kaput too 2 years ago... So i ended up ordering a new one along with a good power bar.

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    <<

bobzwik

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Steam Name: bobzwik

BF3 Soldier: Bobzwik

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 pm

I live 2 hours from Montreal... But maybe we will take out a PSU of another PC we have, to try it out. My dad is also going to get a UPS.

I SHALL RULEZ!
    ImageImage

<<

Dragonrage217

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Battlefield 4

Steam Name: (TKC)Dragonrage217

BF3 Soldier: Dragonrage217

BF4 Soldier: Dragonrage217

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am

the psu doesnt have to be a huge one just have 1 24 pin connector and thats all you just have to see if you get power to the mobo, another thing i rarely ever do is to take a voltage meter to a psu and than jump the psu because if it is a single rail if you get all the amps you could die or get hurt badly so i recommend that you let someone else do that if you go that route to test the psu. the other thing that i say you could do is connect your psu to a functional computer doesnt have to screwed into the case just hook up the cables to operate the computer and if it turns on you know its the mobo and not the psu if you get no power to that computer than you know that it is more than likely your psu.

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 am

bobzwik wrote:I live 2 hours from Montreal... But maybe we will take out a PSU of another PC we have, to try it out. My dad is also going to get a UPS.

Yep, that would work just to test it out!

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    <<

bobzwik

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:38 am

hey ME, what power bar do you have? i guess ill go with that option to prevent this from happening again.

i still havent been able to do this. when the lightning stroke, it blew the router also, and the network adapter in another of our computers. we have fixed that now. we will work on my PC tomorrow.

a question: when ill connect the other PSU to my mobo, do i have to connect it to everything else? or only to the 2x4 12V and 2x12 Main power connector?

I SHALL RULEZ!
    ImageImage

<<

ThrillaKilla

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Bad Company 2

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 am

bobzwik wrote:But I don't know what the problem is. I don't want to end up buying another PSU if my mobo fried.

Is there anything I can check with a voltmeter or something?

these are pretty cheap and the easiest way to test a PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6899261023

ImageImage
    <<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 am

bobzwik wrote:hey ME, what power bar do you have? i guess ill go with that option to prevent this from happening again.

i still havent been able to do this. when the lightning stroke, it blew the router also, and the network adapter in another of our computers. we have fixed that now. we will work on my PC tomorrow.

a question: when ill connect the other PSU to my mobo, do i have to connect it to everything else? or only to the 2x4 12V and 2x12 Main power connector?

UPSes are nice, but you have to change the batteries every few years which can get costly. This is the Power bar I have: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5016 I bought it at the source. Its a bit pricey, but its "cleans" your energy making your electronics last longer and it also has a 4220 joules surge protection.

Hmm,
    If you're only testing the PSU, you are correct, you only need the 2x4 and the 2x12, then just power it up, see if the fans spin, etc. If so, immediately power down and order a new PSU.

As far as surge protection goes... If you're willing to spend a lot, get this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4256771&CatId=232 or else, get something like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842121010CVF

ImageImage
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 am

ME. wrote:
    UPSes are nice, but you have to change the batteries every few years which can get costly. This is the Power bar I have: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5016 I bought it at the source. Its a bit pricey, but its "cleans" your energy making your electronics last longer and it also has a 4220 joules surge protection.

now THAT'S a nice surge protector. Monster has some of the best quality components out there, I use their guitar audio cables and I love them. I might actually look into picking one of those up once I have my i5 and new mobo.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:31 am

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar wrote:
    ME. wrote:

now THAT'S a nice surge protector. Monster has some of the best quality components out there, I use their guitar audio cables and I love them. I might actually look into picking one of those up once I have my i5 and new mobo.

Oh yea...definately... It costs $150 but it was worth it...It even has USB chargers on the side! You can charge your phone, mp3 player or w/e! And it has Stage 1 power cleaning! And even when My lights start flickering and my Power goes out for like half a second, my computer stays on :icon_mrgreen:

ImageImage
    <<

bobzwik

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 am

Any good power bar with a price between the two you mention? The monster one looks great though.

I SHALL RULEZ!
    ImageImage

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:06 am

bobzwik wrote:Any good power bar with a price between the two you mention? The monster one looks great though.

Your 3 choices for Monster at TigerDirect:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?lowprice=50&highprice=199.99&keywords=monster&cat=20&mnf=

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar wrote:Monster has some of the best quality components out there

This is another must have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155653
    I got one of these too...This thing will make all of your LCD Screens nice and clean... I was stunned after using it...how great it cleaned it..no more dust or fingerprints left on the monitor... it was amazing...

ImageImage
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 am

I have this car windshield cleaner that also works on TV's and LCD screens. It's called Invisible Glass and it works perfectly. :icon_mrgreen:

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

bobzwik

Revered Member
    Revered Member

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Checking on my own to see if th PSU went is impossible, because the other PSU we have has a 2x2 12V, while my mobo needs a 2x4. what we'll do, is we'll bring it to this local pc shop, and ask him to test the PSU for us. we wont ask for repairs.

I SHALL RULEZ!
    ImageImage

<<

(TKC) brownman350

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Division: WarZ

Steam Name: (TKC) brownman350

BF3 Soldier: brownman350

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm

I've a Monster also beleive me they are good and no you don't have to connect it to every thing else. :)

PreviousNext

Return to PC Hardware