• Installling Mac OS X from Boot

<<

»mk(stéálthÉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Installling Mac OS X from Boot

Recently I virtualized Mac OS X 10.6.7 on my desktop but now I want to run Mac OS X on my sister's old laptop from boot. Im not sure at all how to do it because it is very different from virtualization and its difficult to get a good guide.

I know TheCrimsonStar did this on his laptop.

Specs:
    Dell Latitude D620
    Intel Core Duo T2400 @1.83GHz
    1GB DDR2 Memory
    40GB Partition (already created)
    Integrated graphics

I have no iso or anything right now.

Last edited by »mk(stéálthÉnigma) on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SwagInYourAO
    CPU: Intel i5-750 2.67GHz (TurboBoost) Memory: 8GB DDR3 1337MHz GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 OCed 840MHz-Core 1040MHz-Mem Screen: LG 21" 1600x900
    Image Image
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Installling Mac OS X from bBoot

Good you already got the partition set up...that's the biggest pain when you already have Windows installed. lol. Are you running Winxp on that laptop? 1GB is hardly any memory at all...

Found this on a tech forum (for Windows 7)

I have dual boot Windows 7 and OSX 10.5.6.

All you need to do is first , install Windows 7. Then, create a new partition for your osx within Windows 7 , format it as fat32 or ntfs and set to to be "active".

Then run the osx installation and before you start the install, go to Utilities and "disk utility" , select the partition you created from Windows 7 and format it as Journaled (don't delete it!).

Then, install as you would normally, selecting this partition as your installation target. (don't forget to customize your OSX installation with the necessary drivers for you system.)

After installation is complete, you will need to repair your Windows 7 boot loader, cause you probably won't be able to boot Windows 7.
    Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD, at the first installation screen select your language etc, and at the second screen select "repair computer".
    This will bring the Windows 7 boot loader back, so you can boot Windows 7.

Now you won't be able to load osx!
    So boot in Windows 7, and unhide your hidden 200MB partition:

1. In disk management, assign a drive letter for your 200MB hidden partition.

2.Download EasyBCD and add a new boot entry, select MacOS, Generic X86, Add, Save. That's it.

You can now have dual boot with Windows 7 and OSX

That's essentially what I did with OpenSUSE Linux on my laptop.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

»mk(stéálthÉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Installling Mac OS X from Boot

Yes its WinXP from 2006. Thats why the memory is terrible.

I tried installing EasyBCD on the laptop before I posted this but it keeps failing because it has no Internet connection and my internet is impossible to install because its a modem and the software on XP wants to ridiculous stuff.

I have the original XP install disc but I do not have a ISO for Mac OSX

SwagInYourAO
    CPU: Intel i5-750 2.67GHz (TurboBoost) Memory: 8GB DDR3 1337MHz GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 OCed 840MHz-Core 1040MHz-Mem Screen: LG 21" 1600x900
    Image Image
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:02 pm

hmm...idk what to do then...unless you want to make a triple boot, with Windows, OpenSUSE and Mac OS X. Then I could help some more, since OpenSUSE comes with its own GRUB bootloader :PP

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

»mk(stéálthÉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah I can do that. I only have a 75GB HDD on it but Im not going to be using WinXP or OpenSUSE much at all. This will work since I am trying to convert it to a full time mac, mainly for streaming videos to my TV.

SwagInYourAO
    Image Image
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

alrighty then, create another partition, download a Mac OS X iso file, make it into a bootable DVD (download OpenSUSE and do the same thing with that). Install Mac OS X, then once that's done, install OpenSUSE on the remaining partition. OpenSUSE will automatically install the GRUB bootloader when you install the OS. Once that's all said and done, when you start up the laptop you should be greeted with this screen, where you can select which OS you want to boot to:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    ImageImage
    <<

»mk(stéálthÉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Alright this is what I am doing:

1.) Download openSUSE ISO image from their website (4.7 GB) - Currently doing
    2.) Burn to DVD
    3.) Create Partition for openSUSE - DONE
    4.) Install according to http://doc.opensuse.org/products/opensu ... stallquick
    5.) Download Mac OS X ISO image - NEED A LINK (for free because I have no moneyz)
    6.)Burn to DVD
    7.)Consult again

SwagInYourAO
    Image Image
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 am

How did you virtualize Mac OS X on your PC without an image?

ImageImage
    <<

(TKC) brownman350

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Division: WarZ

Steam Name: (TKC) brownman350

BF3 Soldier: brownman350

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 am

I would like to know also. :)

<<

Pengwin

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:40 am

Agreed, just use the one you have on your Virtualbox or VMware or whatever you used. I don't see a point though. Virtualization encounters litt;e to no errors while many direct Hackintoshes encounter several errors throughout their lifespan. Using certain hardware, people can nullify a few problems, but there are still thins that mess up that don't on virtualization and or/ a real apple computer. If you haven't finished it yet, you could use the virtualized mac and download the installer for OS X Lion, since it's released, heheh. :icon_devious:

<<

»mk(stéálthÉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:12 pm

I use Mac OS X 10.6.2 release by Hazard seen here: http://techexxpert.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... ows-7.html

I dont really want to virtualize because I want full resources on the Mac and Im only going to be using OSX as my operating system. I at least want to give the hackintosh a shot before resorting to virtual.

SwagInYourAO
    Image Image
    <<

Pengwin

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm

You could try stripping down a windows install to require little to no ram or processing, and in Virtualbox I believe there is an option to freeze Windows while you use it. it's essentially be the same thing, you'd just have a 10-20GB block on your HDD.

Return to PC Hardware