FAQ  •  Register  • 
  • Login
  • Graphics Cards

<<

DestinysKill

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:13 am

Graphics Cards

Should I spend 120$ To get a second ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB and have dual gfx cards? or would you guys recommend some other grahpics cards for around 100 - 200$?

<<

Cecil900

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Division: WarZ

Steam Name: C_E_C_I_L

BF3 Soldier: Cecil900

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 am

Re: Graphics Cards

I would get a GTX 560. You would get roughly the same performance, but i have read that crossfire has loads of problems. Driver updates(not fixing things or breaking things), game support, micro stutter, are just a few problems that are very common with ATI Crossfire setups. The Witcher 2 didnt support crossfire for a good month after its release i believe, while it did support SLI from NVIDIA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127592

There are some 560's with better aftermarket coolers if you are willing to spend the extra money. I believe the Twin Frozer 2 is the best aftermarket cooler.

<<

(TKC)Boo_Yaa

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I got the XFX HD Radeon 6850 for $150 from tigerdirect. This card runs BC2 at the highest settings known to mankind still maintaining 60 FPS without blinking! :icon_teeth:

ImageImageImageImage
    <<

Atherone

Division: Battlefield 4

Steam Name: Atherone

BF3 Soldier: Atherone

BF4 Soldier: Atherone

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Speaking of graphic cards, i currently have an 240 gt, i like nvidia so what should i upgrade to next

<<

Dragonrage217

Honored Member
    Honored Member

Division: Battlefield 4

Steam Name: (TKC)Dragonrage217

BF3 Soldier: Dragonrage217

BF4 Soldier: Dragonrage217

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 pm

570 or 580 not the 590 unless you have some really good cooling.

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Cecil900 wrote:I would get a GTX 560. You would get roughly the same performance, but i have read that crossfire has loads of problems. Driver updates(not fixing things or breaking things), game support, micro stutter, are just a few problems that are very common with ATI Crossfire setups. The Witcher 2 didnt support crossfire for a good month after its release i believe, while it did support SLI from NVIDIA.

There are some 560's with better aftermarket coolers if you are willing to spend the extra money. I believe the Twin Frozer 2 is the best aftermarket cooler.

I have the GTX 460, which is the model below that, and it performs flawlessly, i think that the GTX 560 is definately a good card.

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    <<

Ā»mk(stĆ©Ć”lthƉnigma)

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Division: Battlefield 3

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:47 pm

If you go ATi 5xxx series, OC it heavily because they are very stable and provide 10-13% boost from what Ive seen

SwagInYourAO
    CPU: Intel i5-750 2.67GHz (TurboBoost) Memory: 8GB DDR3 1337MHz GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 OCed 840MHz-Core 1040MHz-Mem Screen: LG 21" 1600x900
    Image Image
    <<

DestinysKill

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Cecil900 wrote:I would get a GTX 560. You would get roughly the same performance, but i have read that crossfire has loads of problems. Driver updates(not fixing things or breaking things), game support, micro stutter, are just a few problems that are very common with ATI Crossfire setups. The Witcher 2 didnt support crossfire for a good month after its release i believe, while it did support SLI from NVIDIA.

So if I got this graphics card, would i need a second one to run BC2 and highest settings? and to have a second one, would i need a bridge connector like ATI's do?

<<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:42 pm

DestinysKill wrote:

So if I got this graphics card, would i need a second one to run BC2 and highest settings? and to have a second one, would i need a bridge connector like ATI's do?

No that will DEFINITELY get you max settings with BC2. Not sure about BF3 though...we'll need to wait till it comes out to test that. If you did decide to get a second one (there's no real reason to unless you need it) the cards that are crossfire or SLI capable usually come with a bridge connector. And yes, SLI requires a bridge connector as well.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

Cecil900

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

DestinysKill wrote:

You would not need a second card to run BC2 at the highest settings unless your res is 2560x1600 or something. As far as multiple graphics cards go, yes NVIDIA cards require an SLI bridge. What is your motherboard model? Just because a motherboard supports Crossfire does not mean it will support SLI.

<<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:40 pm

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar wrote:
    DestinysKill wrote:

No that will DEFINITELY get you max settings with BC2. Not sure about BF3 though...we'll need to wait till it comes out to test that. If you did decide to get a second one (there's no real reason to unless you need it) the cards that are crossfire or SLI capable usually come with a bridge connector. And yes, SLI requires a bridge connector as well.

Cecil900 wrote:You would not need a second card to run BC2 at the highest settings unless your res is 2560x1600 or something. As far as multiple graphics cards go, yes NVIDIA cards require an SLI bridge. What is your motherboard model? Just because a motherboard supports Crossfire does not mean it will support SLI.

Like i said earlier, I have the GTX 460, the model under it,
    I play BC2 max settings, w/DX 11 @ full 1080p
    and I also play Crysis 2 with max settings too and Crysis 2 is a very resource intensive game.
    When BF3 comes, you should be able to play that at max with the GTX 560.
    Plus that card should keep fairly cool with 2 fans.

**EDIT** I found a GTX 550 Ti for $99
    http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

ImageImage
    Sometimes measuring the bottleneck can be interpreted in so many ways. The only Thing ATI can render better then Nvidia is BSoD.
    <<

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar

Exalted Member
    Exalted Member

Steam Name: thecrimsonstar

BF3 Soldier: TheCrimsonStar

Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 am

Dude...that's a steal. Nice find!

This is my next card...Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 6870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102925

Just look at these temp differences! They use OCCT to stress-test it...it's a 23C difference from the reference model!

ASUS Sabertooth P67 | Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz | Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB) | XFX Radeon HD 6970 | Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W | Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler |
    ImageImage
    <<

ME.

Esteemed Member
    Esteemed Member

Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 am

(TKC)TheCrimsonStar wrote:Dude...that's a steal. Nice find!

This is my next card...Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 6870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102925

Just look at these temp differences! They use OCCT to stress-test it...it's a 23C difference from the reference model!

LOL
    My room is always about 5C/9F warmer then the rest of my house...

ImageImage
    <<

Cecil900

Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 am

Imagine having 2 graphics cards. Its worth it though.

<<

DestinysKill

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 am

I think I'm just gonna get a second graphics card, it'd be cheaper and still get improved performance.

Next

Return to PC Hardware